103. How your story gets you on stage | with Alex Street
Aug 05, 2020
We’re so inundated with a digital world of things talking at us that it’s been harder to communicate and find our own words offline.
That’s where Alex comes in. Alex Street is a story-focused speaker coach helping you share your story and connect with your audience—something that is so critical right now. He assists others in finding their story and sharing it with ease, and he shows you exactly how to do it. He takes over two decades of public speaking experience and knowledge to help people tell stories with captivating content and powerful performance. He’s so heart-centered and connected with the energy around him, and he can show you how to do the same.
How to get out of your own way and find your story
- It all starts with motivation. What do you want to get up in front of people to do? What do you want to talk about?
- Don’t make it all about your services! So many people talk about what they do, and many of those talks start to look the same, so…
- Focus on what makes you unique and who you are made for. That’s what locks you into your purpose and significance and makes you different from anyone else out there. If you can’t answer that, why would anyone work with YOU over anyone else out there?
- Once you have your voice, once you know what you have to say, how do you get over the FEAR that’s holding you back? Realize that you are afraid of one of two things: yourself or the audience.
- The fear of yourself is the fear that you will screw up and that your work will not get the respect that it deserves. The fear of the audience is the fear that you will do great, but the audience will not like, respect, or understand you.
- You are the most interesting part of your story. Start with the “who I was” story, then transition into the “what happened” part of the story where things began to change, and that turns into the “who I am now” part of the story. That’s a classic transformation story.